Tuesday, January 12, 2010

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

I went old-school Sarah Dessen with my last book in the tune of This Lullaby. This book is the story of Remy (I LOVE that name, even though it has more recently been the name of a rat in a certain totally-delightful Disney-Pixar film...), a girl whose mother is on her fifth marriage and whose father died, but not after penning "This Lullaby," a classic rock staple that was written about Remy when she was born. Remy is a survivor who goes through life without any crutches and never allows herself to feel hurt from any man. But when she meets Dexter, everything turns upside-down as she tries to protect her heart.

I really enjoyed this book. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. There were a few characters in there that I didn't quite understand or that I felt weren't written particularly well. However, what female doesn't recall that time in between high school and college when everything is changing and getting confusing? This is another great young adult book, and it really supports my belief that Sarah Dessen is one of the forefront YA writers. She "gets" girls in that teenage stage, and I only wish that I had been able to read some of her books while I was in high school. I think I would have positively adored those books back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment