Thursday, January 7, 2010

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

With all my list-making, I realized I hadn't yet mentioned my first (and so far only, sigh) book of 2010: Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway.
The book centers (obviously) around Audrey, a normal 16-year-old girl who recently dumped her slacker musician boyfriend who never seemed to pay much attention to her until the day they break up, and he then writes a song called, you guessed it, "Audrey, Wait!". If him playing it in front of many of her classmates at a show one night wasn't bad enough, how about this song making the band and becoming the fastest-rising single ever on the Billboard charts?

Being the subject of the hottest song on the radio, Audrey's normal existence suddenly vanished as she started being hunted by paparazzi, reporters, and teeny-bop girls hoping for her picture and an autograph. So how did Audrey manage to survive? And what about that now-famous ex of hers who unintentionally made her life crazy?

This book was pure Young Adult, and to get into it I had to put my YA Cap on and get into that teenage girl mentality. Once I did that, I found it to be very, very enjoyable! The story was cute, albeit unrealistic, but it was a great source of escapism. It's always fun to imagine yourself in those "what if" moments, and this is Audrey pretty much living that. The characters were well-fleshed out and interesting, and I had a great time floating along as I waited to see how all this would end.

Anyway, I've been on a bit of a reading hiatus since Audrey, Wait! was finished and returned to my local library. This is for two reasons: First, I was waiting on the library to get a few Sarah Dessen books in (hey, might as well keep up with some YA). Second, I ordered Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater from Borders.com, and I was waiting for that to be shipped to me via FedEx. The good news: The Dessen books are in, so I'm currently about fifteen pages into This Lullaby (yes, it's old school Sarah Dessen, but I haven't read it!). Next will be Lock and Key, which I actually have to go pick up at the library later today. Shiver has not yet arrived, but hopefully tomorrow maybe I'll find it waiting on my doorstep? Seriously, I so prefer UPS. FedEx can be slow as dirt, especially when I'm expecting something awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment