Friday, January 29, 2010

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

Recently on a book-related message board I frequent there was a book exchange. We do these occasionally, and usually the givers decide to go a safe route and purchase books that they know the person they drew want to own. I admit to doing this to because I'd hate to gift some of my favorite books and then discover the person hated them with a fiery passion.

Lucky for me, my gifter decided to take a chance. She's someone whose opinion on books I competely respect and trust, which made me very excited to read what she picked out for me:














The first of these three books I picked up was A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb. The premise intrigued me: A love story between a ghost and a human, and the struggles they face as they embark upon this unlikely romance.

The story caught me off guard because it actually turned out to be completely unlike what I had expected. Upon rereading the back cover I realized that it gave away more than I initially thought it did, but regardless I admit I was pleasantly surprised that a lot of the events were completely unexpected. It made the twists and turns fairly exciting. But with that said, there were a few minor events that were extremely easy to see coming. As with anything when you know something long before a character knows (or, in some cases, the character knows but refuses to act in a way you would normally act), it got a little bit frustrating. Obviously this isn't necessarily the book's fault or even the character's fault though. I have to admit I'd probably be bored stiff if every character were exactly like me.

At any rate, I really liked this book. It started off a little slow, but once I got into everything I found it to be a very fascinating read. It also kept me thinking long after I had closed the cover, which is always a fun thing to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment