Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Movie: The Princess and the Frog

I am a huge Disney freak in two ways: First, I'm a huge, huge fan of Walt Disney World. I'm a total kid at heart, and this is a place where I can just go crazy and have fun and no one will think the worst of me for it. Second, I totally dig all the old throwback Disney animated films, which means it was a sad day for me when they stopped creating them. But then it was a happy day when I heard they were going "back to their roots" so to speak with The Princess and the Frog.

Now, unfortunately life got in the way around the time this film was released in theatres. I never got to see it. But yesterday it came out on DVD, and so of course I ran to Target during my lunch time, armed with a $10 coupon for the DVD/Blu-Ray combo pack, and snatched it up giddily. I ran back to the office, tore off all the packaging, and sat there staring at it for several hours until the time came that I could finally go home and watch. And go home and watch I did!

One thing I loved about this movie was that it was technically kinda sorta based on a book I read last year: The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker (who is credited as the writer of the story, in fact). The film pretty much only has one major thing in common with the book, and that is the whole girl-kisses-frog-and-turns-into-frog-herself thing. Otherwise, it's very different. But regardless, it was a fun little thing for me to discover.

I also loved that despite having all the makings of a traditional Disney animated film, it was also very unique in its own way. First, there's the whole African American Disney princess thing. And technically, she's not even a "real" princess! Add to this the New Orleans setting, the amazing music, and I was completely hooked. And while I won't give it away to anyone who hasn't seen this movie, but I cried like a giant baby when Ray finally ends up with his Evangeline.

In other words, big thumbs up! I can't wait to be a nerd and watch it again!

1 comment:

  1. My dd (the princess) has seen this movie eleventy billion times already and I have yet to see it. :-( I plan on rectifying this in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete